Thursday, December 30, 2010

Municipal Ferry Building, c.1941

Streamline Moderne style building with a nautical theme, the building has served as city hall and headquartes for the Los Angeles Harbor Department. The firm Pulliam and Matthews have renovated the building for its current use as the Los Angeles Maritime Museum. Located at the east end of 6th Street at Harbor Boulevard in San Pedro.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

First Congregational Church Los Angeles, Allison & Allison, Architects 1930-32

When you enter the nave from the narthex, you see ahead of you a beautiful slender window on the east chancel wall. It depicts the life of Christ in a series of 15 medallions and is topped by the trefoil with the traditional symbols of the Trinity — the hand of God, the Lamb of God, and the Dove — grouped about the Bible. The other two chancel windows also show scenes from Christ's life.

Church of the Epiphany, Arthur B. Benton 1913

The main sanctuary (as seen from the chancel) of the expanded church, designed by Architect Arthur B. Benton in 1913. The stained glass window seen here of the Good Shepherd was designed by nearby Judson Studios. Brother Thomas Carey, Vicar of the church gave us an informative tour December 23, 2010.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Yoakum House, 1895-1915

Tudor Revival style house built by volunteer labor for Finis Ewing Yoakum, founder of "Pisgah House", a halfway home. Located at 140 S. Avenue 46 in the Highland Park neihborhood of Los Angeles.

Declared a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument in 1985 (No. 287).

G.W.E. Griffith House, Fred R. Dorn, Architect 1903

The Griffith House is an outstanding example of the Colonial Revival Style with the addition of some interesting Moorish details. Believed to be designed by Architect Fred R. Dorn, it was one of several homes built by the architect for Griffith during the period. The house was built in 1903 and originally stood at 110 South Avenue 58. It was moved to its present location in 1914.
Declared an Historic-Cultural Monument by the City of Los Angeles in 1988 (No. 374).

5960 Hayes Avenue c.1900 Mission Revival

Mission Revival Style duplex in Highland Park. A landscape architect working on the house claimed the house was "the only Mission Revival home designed by Greene and Greene", As evidence, he offered the elegant entrance doors with hand-hammered brackets typical of arts and crafts homes.

Putnam House, George Wyman, Architect 1903

The Putnam House, located at 5944 Hayes Avenue in Highland Park, was designed by Architect George H. Wyman in 1903. The architect mixed Craftsman and Colonial Revival styles to create a unique composition.

Declared a Los Angeles Historic-Cultura Monument in 1988 (No. 375).

Mary E. Smith House

Mary E. Smith House
Originally uploaded by Michael Locke
Transitional Craftsman style house located at 1186 West 27th Street in the North University Park Historic District of Los Angeles. Declared a Los Angeles-Historic-Cultural Monument (No. 798) in 2008.

Japanese American National Museum, Edgar Cline, Architect 1925, KNSU Joint Venture Architects (Remodel) 1992

Located in the Little Tokyo area of Los Angeles, the Japanese American National Museum is devoted to the history and culture of Japanese Americans. The museum contains over 100,000 feet of 16 mm and 8 mm home movies of Japanese Americans from the 1920s to the 1950s, as well as artifacts, textiles, art, photographs, and oral histories dating back to the first Issei generation.

Located at 369 East 1st Street in Little Tokyo.

Shajiee Residence, John Raymond Byram, Architect 2008

Nestled in the hills just south of Mulholland Drive, the Shajiee Residence reflects an organized minimalism expressed as two separate pavilions, responding to the client's desire to simultaneously entertain guests while accomodating the familiy's need for privacy.

Glass, zinc metal panels and stainless steel ribbon railings modulate the sculpted volumes, enhancing the site's organic qualities. Glass walls of the entertainment pavilion can be rolled away, opening the space to the outdoors; guests may enjoy the fire pit and infinity pool while soaking up the panoramic view of the city below.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Rolland A. Voss Residence, Wright-Dukes Construction Company, Architect & Builder 1929

Mediterranean Villa in Los Feliz; since 1989 the home of Actor Ron "Hell Boy" Perlman and his wife Opal. Located at 4025 Cromwell Avenue.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Kleihauer Memorial Chapel, Carleton Winslow & Warren Waltz, Architects, 1967

Tucked away from the street behind a chained gate, the Kleihauer Memorial Chapel of the now-defunct Hollywood Christian Church is a small treasure. Designed by the famed ecclesiastical architect Carleton M. Winslow Jr. and Warren Waltz in 1967, the now-forsaken worship center starkly demonstrates the changing fortunes (and challenges) of the inner-city church.

The Kleihauer Memorial Chapel is located at 1717 N. Gramercy Place in Hollywood.

Friday, December 24, 2010

2419 Sichel Street, c.1887

A Queen Anne style house dating from 1887 in remarkable appearance. The grand home has been partitioned into four apartments. Located at 2419 Sichel Street in Lincoln Heights.

Church of the Epiphany, Ernest Coxhead (1889); Arthur B. Benton 1913

The original chapel (barely visible on the left side, with a single gable)) was designed by Ernest Coxhead in 1888-89. The much larger addition was designed by Architect Arthur R. Benton in 1913. The stained glass Epiphany window over the main altar was designed by Tiffany; the other stained glass windows, include the Good Shepherd Window at the rear of the sanctuary were designed by Judson Studios.

Lincoln Heights Branch Library, Hibbard & Cody, Architects 1916

Italian Renaissance style public library located at 2530 Workman Street in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles. The library was one of more than 2500 funded by Andrew Carnegie. between 1883 and 1929, the majority of which were built in the United States

Residence, 3110 N. Broadway c. 1880

In the late 19th century, Lincoln Heights was one of the most fashionable neighborhoods of Los Angeles, as evidenced by a smattering of "painted ladies" still standing more than a century later. The Queen Anne style residence seen here is a good example. Designated a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument in 1976 (No. 157).

Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Frank Capitan, Architect 1893

Late Victorian Gothic in style, the church originally had a high spire above its square tower. Its sheer size and elegant architecture are a reminder of the once-well-to-do neighborhood that surrounds it.

Declared a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument in 1989 (No. 468). Located at 2210 Sichel Street in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles

Thursday, December 23, 2010

3537 Griffith Avenue, attrib. Joseph Cather Newsom c. 1890

Queen Anne-style home, attributed to Joseph Cather Newsom, with elements varioiusly described as "Eastlake" and "Italianate". Designated a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument (No,145) in 1975.

Located at 3537 Griffin Avenue in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of Los Angeles.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Beckman Auditorium, Edward D. Stone, Architect 1963

Designed by Edward Durell Stone (1902 - 1978), the architect began his architectural studies at the University of Arkansas, where his interest in architecture was encouraged by the chairman of the art department. His older brother, James Hicks Stone (1886–1928), was already a practicing architect in Boston, Massachusetts, who encouraged him to join him there. While in Boston, Stone attended the Boston Architectural Club (now Boston Architectural College), Harvard University, and MIT, and apprenticed in the offices of Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbott, (successor firm to H.H. Richardson).

Glendale City Hall, Albert E. Hansen, Architect 1940-42

A fine example of the classical Moderne style, a favored style of public buildings built in the United States between the Great Depression and the advent of America's participaton in World War II.

Glendale's City Hall is located at the northwest corner of Broadway and Howard Street.

John Brockman Clock Tower Estate

Historic 'Clock Tower' Estate built by John Brockman, a wealthy civil war hero and friend of Abraham Lincoln in 1910. Brockman constructed the clock tower in 1920. The clock was removed from a property which Brockman donated to the Orthopaedic Hospital in downtown Los Angeles, for which Brockman was a primary benefactor. The original hands of the clock are displayed in the hospital to this day. Brockman had the house built in the style of the Bwick Reim Villa located in Hessen, Germany, his birthplace. The influence of the Prairie and Craftsman Styles are evident everywhere: large porches and public rooms, massive fireplaces, and rich wood paneling.

El Miradero- Nathaniel Dryden, Architect 1902-04

Patterned after the East Indian Pavilion at the Columbian World Exposition held in Chicago in 1893, Glendale Industrialist Leslie E. Brand (who brought the Pacific Electric to Glendale in 1904) built his 'castle' in the Seracenic Style, combining Spanish, Moorish and Indian elements. A Victorian decor embellishes the interior.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Jensen's Recreation Center (Electric Sign) E.E.B. Meinardus, Architect 1924

The Jensen Recreation Center was one of several buildings built by German immigrant Christian Jensenone in the 1920s.. Jensen made a fortune making bricks for the rapidly growing city. The center orginially had shops, a bowling alley, and a pool hall at street level, and apartments on the top two levels.

The building was declared Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument No. 652 in 1998. Located at 1706 W. Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Hollenbeck Presbyterian Church c.1884

One of the oldest wooden churches still standing in Los Angeles, with Craftsman, Gothic and Romanesque details. Founded by JOHN EDWARD HOLLENBECK, SR.. He also started the HOLLENBECK HOTEL (long gone since 1933, after 49 years of business), and two parks are named after him, HOLLENBECK PARK of Los Angeles and Covina, California. He also once owned lands in East Los Angeles, California that he gave to the City. It is in the HOLLENBECK AREA-BOYLE HEIGHTS AREA of East L.A. And his wife ELIZABETH HOLLENBECK who founded HOLLENBECK HOME, a retirement estate that is still in business after almost 117 years! They also helped founded the HOLLENBECK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, (now operating under a different name).

Hollenbeck Police Station, A.C Martin Partners, Architects 2008

Boyle Heights new community police station is a powerful statement of the LAPD's intention to create 'an open, community serving police force'. The architect has carefully considered the community’s distinct tradition of artistic expression.

The LAPD's forward-thinking philosophy is expressed in three rectangular 2-story 'volumes'. A 54,000 sq ft. main building, 7,000 sq ft vehicle maintenance facility, and 115,000 sq ft parking structure are the station's components.

Sunday, December 05, 2010

Muir Dawson House, John Nash Anderson, Architect 1956

The house appears as a tree house, suspended above the canopy. The architect conceived the house as a Case Study Project, approaching his college friend after learning that he and his young bride had recently purchased a large lot in Silver Lake. The seller needed cash, and while the $3,000 price tag was steep, they managed to secure the necessary funds.

With limited financial resources, the original house was a single story, built on an upper level, with a lower level planned for future expansion. In later years, the lower section was completed, providing a home office, sitting room and master suite on the ground level. The house is set back a distance from the street, and is approached via a sloping ramp connecting to the upper level, providing the "tree house: effect. Located at 2321 Hidalgo Avenue in Silver Lake.